Sunday meal inspiration: comforting dholl

By 18:17

Dhall, as it’s more commonly known across the globe, can be likened to a lightly spiced lentil soup. In Durban, we pronounce it dholl and it’s pretty much a staple in every Indian home.  It can be used as gravy for a dry meal like rice and roast chicken. It can be used for some additional flavour in breyanis. It can be eaten alone with rice or bread. I like to use it in meals where I have tomato chutney where I need to cut the richness of the chutney. Or you can even drink it plain. Here’s how I make it at home.



You will need these ingredients:

1 cup of yellow split pea lentils
1 teaspoon of hurdee or turmeric powder
2 tablespoons of salt
1 tablespoon of oil
1 tablespoon of jeera or cumin
1 sprig of dried curry leaves
Half an onion sliced
3 cloves of garlic finely sliced
3 green chillies with a slit cut down the middle

This is how you make it:

Rinse the lentils in water until the water runs clear and leave it to soak in water overnight. Boil the lentils for an hour with salt and turmeric powder. If you live in Joburg where cooking takes so much longer, I recommend blending the lentils after you boil it. Then put it back on to boil with about three cups of water. Allow about a cup of the water to boil off so that the consistency is still runny. It must not be as thick as a cream-based soup.

When you’ve achieved the correct consistency, temper the rest of the ingredients in some oil in another frying pan. Add the fried spices to the dhall. Have a quick stir and a taste test for flavour and there you have it: comforting dholl. 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This post made me smile. Dholl is the ultimate comfort food. Dholl with breyani, Dholl with white bread, Dholl with fried potato, Dholl with chicken curry and rice, and of course my mom's dhallpuri (perfection) - I'll take it all! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you. I feel like dholl should always be in good supply in every household. Sadly, my fiance doesn't agree :-(

      Delete